Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Australian Genealogists Daily

Several years ago (I can't remember when) I set up a Paper.li Paper "The Australian Genealogists Daily. I was reminded of the usefulness of this little experiment by Shuana Hicks in her blog post this week.

What is Paper.li ? Their website states "Paper.li is a content curation service. It enables people to publish newspapers based on topics they like and treat their readers to fresh news, daily. We believe that people (and not machines) are the ones qualified to curate the content that matters most."

How do I manage the Paper? I set up an "Australian Genealogists list" on my Twitter account and then went over to Paper.li and chose "Create Paper" from their menu, I followed their instructions and from the options selected "a twitter name or list" from the options displayed in  "Choose your paper’s content", I used my "Australian Genealogists list".  "The Australian Genealogists Daily". was born. Apart from adding new people to the list I do nothing, it is an automated service.

Where does the content come from? It is randomly selected by Paper.li from the tweets of the 89 people and organisations on my list. If you take a look at the list you will notice that there are no commercial organisations there, it is composed mostly of Australians individuals (including expats) or societies who identify as having an interest in family history. As I find someone new I add them to the list. I need your help to let me know of any person or society I may have missed and I will add them.

How do you get the Paper? Both Shauna Hicks and I have a daily automated tweet that lets one know when the paper is delivered or you can subscribe to updates by email here: https://paper.li/geniaus/australian-genealogists.

Front page of today'sedition
If you want to keep abreast of genealogy news downunder then "The Australian Genealogists Daily is a good place to start.

10 comments:

Kerryn Taylor said...

Thanks for sharing that Jill I had wondered how it worked. If we suggest a blog to you do they need to be on Twitter?

Kerryn Taylor said...

I am going to leave this extra comment as I keep forgetting to tick the box to get "email follow up comments" .... now ticked.

GeniAus said...

Kerryn. I just have it set up for tweets at the moment. There are other options I haven't investigated.

GeniAus said...

Wow - there are 8 new subscribers to the paper today.

Kylie Willison said...

I love it when stuff of mine gets featured in the paper!! It's a real buzz.

Anonymous said...

I love it too when mine shows up.

Anne Young said...

Hi Jill, my comments echo Kerryn's, I really appreciate knowing how the paper gets put together. I was curious how it worked. I don't tweet so it is nice to have the benefits of the twitterverse for Australian genealogy digested. Regards Anne

Anne Young said...

Oh I also meant to say that I really enjoy receiving the email at the end of the day, I always find something I haven't yet caught up with in the paper :)

GeniAus said...

Thanks all. It's something that takes no effort but seems to share some great stuff.

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

I've been curious how it worked and now you've satisfied my curiosity. It offers so many great stories.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...