Monday, October 5, 2015

Killing them off

Although I didn't take part in the Genealogy Do-over this year I made a concerted effort to go through my database and look for unsourced or unsupported assertions, sources in the notes field (from an earlier sotware program) , missing BDM data, typos and other odds and ends. The closer the relative is to me the more effort I put into adding to their records. If it's  somethone like a fourth cousin's husband I give him less attention. I am pleased to report that I have amended and added to hundreds of my records  but I still have quite a way to go.

One of the things I have been trying to find are death and burial dates for many of the people in my GeniAus database using The Ryerson Index, Ancestry, FMP, Heaven Address, Google and online cemetery databases.. Realising that many people drop off their perches before they hit 90 I have been looking for deaths for anyone who would be over 80 if they are still kicking. I feel quite guilty when I am trying to  Kill someone off  in my database.  

A few weeks ago I came across an elderly cousin of my Mum's who is in her late eighties; she is very sprightly and sharp as a tack. When I was chatting with her I felt quite guilty as I had recently been searching all over the place for a record of her death.




Do you get an attack of the guilts when trying to assign relatives to agrave?

4 comments:

Travis LeMaster said...

You gave me a chuckle reading about how you were having a conversation with someone who you were trying to 'kill off' in your database. I can almost hear the conversation. Sort of like Monty Python, "I'm not dead yet!".

Shelley Crawford said...

Very funny! I've got quite a few relatives I need to bury. But only if they're actually dead, of course!

Celia Lewis said...

She turned your deaths age-range on its ear, eh?
We have a lot of over 90 year olds, including 94, 98, 102 and 103, so I've set my age range up to 105!
Your post made me laugh this afternoon, Jill.
Cheers.

GeniAus said...

The old girl in question certainly has a lot of life in her but sadly I have been successful in killing off quite a number.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...