Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Blogiversary Confusion

I was delighted this morning to receive blogiversary wishes on Facebook from Geneabloggers and some genimates but when I looked at the date quoted it didn't quite gel.  I thought my blog was a tad older than that post suggested.

Going back through the GeniAus blog archive I discovered that my blog actually turned 8 on November 5th. Here is what I said in my first post on that day:


 A crowded blogosphere? I must have been wearing blinkers - there were very few genealogy blogs in existence when I got started and only a handful from downunder. Geneablogs now number in the thousands. I have seen many come and go while a few oldies continue to flourish. Notable among these are Olive Tree Genealogy, Genea-Musings and Genealogy's Star. In 2008 Geneablogging downunder was a lonely pursuit. Pauleen's Family History across the Seas launched in December 2009 is one blog that has weathered the storm. The authors of these four geneablogs have become friends along the way.

I have been retired (from paid work) for nearly eight years and find myself busier than ever. Geneablogging has enriched my life in retirement. It has delivered friendships, put me in contact with distant relatives, informed and taught me, given me opportunities to teach others and, through my role as a Rootstech Ambassador, encouraged me to travel to distant lands and opened doors to places and experiences that I had only dreamt about.

Although I primarily blog for myself, my family and future generations I am most grateful for those who come along for the ride. Many of these readers are unknown to me. I got such a buzz at the Society of Australian Genealogists event last Saturday when one of my readers sought me out to tell me how much she enjoyed my blog. Thank you to that lady and the other readers my stats tell me I have.

I am still not organised and have more mysteries than ever to solve but I am having a beaut time. I'm not too concerned about my messy geneacave and piles of files - as long as I am progressing and sharing my research and knowledge I am content.

I hope to be blogging eight years from now.

7 comments:

Louis Kessler said...

Jill,

Today, Nov 7, is my Behold Blog's 14th Blogiversary. I keep it in my birthday calendar so my phone will warn me.

Make sure everyone updates your blogiversary date. That's something you don't want to correct year after year.

I'm looking forward to seeing you again at RootsTech.

Louis

Alona Tester said...

Congrats on 8 years blogging already, as well as encouraging others to get started researching and blogging as well. Here's to the next 8 years!!

Merron Riddiford said...

Congratulations Jill on your eighth Blogiversary and I agree with Alona. Your inspiration and guidance helped me get started and continue blogging.

Crissouli said...

Congratulations on your 8th Blogiversary, Jill.... that's no mean feat.

Crissouli said...

I have included your blog in INTERESTING BLOGS on FRIDAY FOSSICKING at..

http://thatmomentintime-crissouli.blogspot.com.au/2016/11/friday-fossicking-11th-nov-2016.html

Thank you, Chris

Shelley Crawford said...

Well done! I've been following your blog for most of that time. I was so pleased to find an Australian genealogy blog with wide ranging interests, including tech. When I started blogging I quickly discovered how friendly and encouraging you are. The Australian corner of the geneablogging scene would not be what it is today without your drive and influence helping it along! Happy blogiversary, and many more!

GeniAus said...

Thanks all for your good wishes. We certainly have a healthy group of geneabloggers downunder.

Louis - I fear I am losing the plot - the blogiversary was in my calendar - I just forgot to act on it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...